Luscious green curry sure to seduce your taste buds!
We had a small get-together at our place and my mom had made “Mattarchi Usal”. I still relish those moments, the taste is still alive in my memories. After a long time I tried to recreate it with slightly different ingredients. It’s very easy to make and doesn’t require any special ingredients. I am sure you will enjoy it as much I did.
Yet another traditional Maharashtrian recipe!
- Green Peas - 2 cups (shelled)
- Coconut - 1/2 cup, fresh grated
- Cumin seeds - 1 tea spoon
- Cilantro - 1/2 bunch, fresh, chopped
- Garlic - 2-3 cloves
- Ginger - 1 tea spoon grated
- Curry Leaves - 8-10 fresh leaves
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tea spoon
- Turmeric - 1/4 tea spoon
- Hing - 1/2 tea spoon
- Red chili - 2 dry chiles or red chili powder to taste
- Coriander seeds - 1/2 tea spoon
- Oil - 2 table spoon
- lemon juice - 2 table spoon
- star anis - 1-2 (optional)
- Make a fine paste with coconut, cilantro, 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, ginger and garlic. Add some water if required.
- In a cooking pot, heat oil.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and hing.
- Add turmeric powder if you like. Add curry leaves and red chillies cut into halves. Fry for another minute.
- Now add the green paste and let it cook until the paste starts leaving oil.
- Add salt as per taste.
- Add green peas and enough water to maintain the desired consistency for the curry.
- I like to add 1 or 2 star anise while the curry is boiling, but make sure you take them out once done.
- Let the peas cook for 10-15 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and sugar.
Serve with hot bread slices or rotis.