Tofu and I share a strange relation. Whenever I see it in a store I feel inspired to use it in some recipe interesting recipe and a thought of having protein rich food encourage me to buy a packet but then it sits in my refrigerator until I start reminding myself to use in a recipe and finally it ends up in some Thai Curry with other vegetables.
When my friends came over for coffee (without any prior notice) I had noting to offer except for coffee. It was pouring outside and I was thinking of batata wada but deep frying and again cleaning that mess was too much of work … When I saw tofu in the fridge it reminded me of this super simple recipe I had seen on my favorite show. This was enough reason to try it out.
Super quick recipe to enjoy the amazing benefits of Soy!
- Tofu - 1 144 oz packet, extra firm
- Oil - 2 Tbsp
- Soy Sauce - 2 Tbsp or to taste
- Tomato Chili Sauce - 2 Tbsp
- Basil - 8-10 leaves
- Spring Onions - 4-5 finely chopped
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Black Pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic - 1-2 cloves, finely chopped
- Green Chili - 1-2, finely chopped
- Drain liquid from Tofu package, cut it into larger pieces and press out excess liquid.
- Cut it into bite sized pieces.
- In a non-stick skillet, heat some oil.
- Add finely chopped garlic and green chilis. (Is you are using Chili sauce skip green chilis). Also add onions.
- Add a pinch of salt and stir fry it for 15-20 seconds on medium heat. Make sure that garlic doesn't burn.
- Add cut tofu and stir fry again for a minute or so.
- Now add soy sauce and tomato chili sauce, sugar and black pepper. Toss it for a minute and allow it to thicken and coat tofu pieces.
- Add basil leaves and if seasoning is fine, take it out.
- Serve it hot.
- Strain out the liquid completely.
- If you have time, pound garlic, green chilis and spring onions together with a pinch of salt and use it as a sauce.
- Deep frying tofu will add extra depth.