Tofu and I share a strange relation. Whenever I see it in a store I feel inspired to use it in some recipe interesting recipe and a thought of having protein rich food encourage me to buy a packet but then it sits in my refrigerator until I start reminding myself to use in a recipe and finally it ends up in some Thai Curry with other vegetables.
When my friends came over for coffee (without any prior notice) I had noting to offer except for coffee. It was pouring outside and I was thinking of batata wada but deep frying and again cleaning that mess was too much of work … When I saw tofu in the fridge it reminded me of this super simple recipe I had seen on my favorite show. This was enough reason to try it out.
The original recipe makes dry stir fry with just some seasoning and no vegetables,I changed it to add some basil leaves and more sauce.
Super quick recipe to enjoy the amazing benefits of Soy!
- Drain liquid from Tofu package, cut it into larger pieces and press out excess liquid.
- Cut it into bite sized pieces.
- In a non-stick skillet, heat some oil.
- Add finely chopped garlic and green chilis. (Is you are using Chili sauce skip green chilis). Also add onions.
- Add a pinch of salt and stir fry it for 15-20 seconds on medium heat. Make sure that garlic doesn't burn.
- Add cut tofu and stir fry again for a minute or so.
- Now add soy sauce and tomato chili sauce, sugar and black pepper. Toss it for a minute and allow it to thicken and coat tofu pieces.
- Add basil leaves and if seasoning is fine, take it out.
- Serve it hot.
- Strain out the liquid completely.
- If you have time, pound garlic, green chilis and spring onions together with a pinch of salt and use it as a sauce.
- Deep frying tofu will add extra depth.
Healthy can be Yummy!
There was a time when I had Falafel wrap from Dish N Dash at least once a week. I really miss this place. Falafel was on my list for a long time but “deep-fried” and “cleaning-after-deep-frying” were the main reasons to put it off. This weekend I decided to give it a shot and instead of frying I baked flattened falafel balls and here is the result –
It takes much less time and it’s a no-mess recipe. Definitely a keeper. I served these falafel with cool cucumber dip.
Easy, Healthy and Delicious!
- I did not use canned Garbanzo beans, hence I soaked them overnight in water. Next day I cooked them in a steamer until you can smash them with a fork. Don't overcook else it will form a paster when you grind them. If you are using canned beans, skip this step and instead just drain the water and follow along.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a food processor (DO NOT use grinder / blender), add chana (garbanzo beans) and roughly chopped cilantro and pulse it few times until you get roughly chopped mixture. Be careful not to over blend it.
- Now take the mixture in a medium mixing bowl and add all other ingredients which include finely chopped onion, finely chopped garlic and olive oil and other spices and salt to taste. Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and grease the paper with few drops of oil. Alternatively, you can use the cooking spray but it's not needed.
- Drop one table spoon of mixture on the sheet leaving enough space to spread the mixture.
- With your fingers, slightly flatten the balls on the baking sheet.
- Since these are baked and not fried, only the flatten sides with become crispy so if you want go ahead and make them thinner.
- Bake these for 15-17 minutes until their bottom becomes golden brown. Once done, they slide out easily.
- Take them out and turn each falafel and bake the other side for another 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with tahini, hummus or cucumber dip.
Linking it to Foodomania’s Christmas Cook-Off Contest
Cucumber with yogurt is always so refreshing. Here is under-10-minutes recipe for a quick, satisfying dip.
Or a mini version of cucumber koshmbir
- Wash the cucumber and cut both the side.
- If you prefer, peel the skin off.
- Grate it using a grater.
- In a small bowl, whisk yogurt with sugar and salt.
- Add other spices and mix well.
- Add grated cucumber and mix again.
- If you like, add finely chopped cilantro.
- Serve cold!